Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] bacula-sd file storage question

2017-01-09 14:57:11
Subject: [Bacula-users] bacula-sd file storage question
From: "Timo Neuvonen" <timo-news AT tee-en DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2017 21:55:36 +0200
Pasted below is a piece of the  default bacula-sd.conf
My installation is from epel-bacula repo for CentOS 7, but exactly the same
conf example can be found from the latest Bacula source tarball.

Could someone explain why a file storage device is definend as an "dummy"
autochanger, and the two file storage devices to which the autochanger
refers? I can't get the point what this autochanger does - changer command
is an empty string etc, and both the devices use the same /tmp path.

I understand that this could be used as a skeleton, to provide more advanced
autochanger functionality. But since this is the most simplest file storage
device example in the conf file, I'm still wondering if this really is the
simplest way of implementing the file storage?

What would I lose if I simply had only one of the two device resources, no
autochanger resource at all, and the jobs would refer directly to the device
resource? I think it should work too...

Regards,

Timo

#
# Define a Virtual autochanger
#
Autochanger {
  Name = FileChgr1
  Device = FileChgr1-Dev1, FileChgr1-Dev2
  Changer Command = ""
  Changer Device = /dev/null
}

Device {
  Name = FileChgr1-Dev1
  Media Type = File1
  Archive Device = /tmp
  LabelMedia = yes;                   # lets Bacula label unlabeled media
  Random Access = Yes;
  AutomaticMount = yes;               # when device opened, read it
  RemovableMedia = no;
  AlwaysOpen = no;
  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 5
}