Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula-sd file storage question

2017-01-10 10:57:50
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula-sd file storage question
From: Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 09:56:52 -0600
On 2017-01-10 03:49, Timo Neuvonen wrote:

> What confused me is that the example conf files supplied with current Bacula
> releases don't give an example of the very basic disk-based setup, but just
> show how to setup a virtual disk autochanger.
> The whitepapers that Kern referred gave me an impression that the virtual
> autochanger setup is primarily for high-end applications where may be
> thousands of concurrent jobs, and where it is essential to have a more
> precise control on how concurrent jobs simultaneously use several volumes.
> I hope I got this right?

I haven't looked at example files in quite some time so I wasn't sure.

Personally I have hard time figuring out what practical problem would be
solved by having 2 "storages" writing to the same directory -- maybe if
you want to run backups and restores at the same time all the time... I
use an SSD spool and it's despooling pretty much as fast as the spinning
rust will take it. I expect adding a concurrent writer would only add
contention and slow it all down. YMMV and all that of course.

Dima