Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula-sd file storage question

2017-01-10 04:51:15
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula-sd file storage question
From: "Timo Neuvonen" <timo-news AT tee-en DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 11:49:44 +0200
> > I'm still wondering if this really is the
> > simplest way of implementing the file storage?
> >
> > What would I lose if I simply had only one of the two device resources,
> > no autochanger resource at all, and the jobs would refer directly to the
> > device resource? I think it should work too...

> What are you trying to achieve? I agree that "virtual autochanger" is a
> mind boggle with no obvious practical use, but why are you looking at it
> in the first place? One file storage device is exactly how it works,
> moreover it's the only way it works natively.

I'm not trying to achieve anything special, I'm rather trying to avoid doing
anything unnecessarily complicated.
I just want to set up (and  to fully understand my set-up) a simple but
working file storage device for a small business / home office environments,
with no more than just a few concurrent jobs.
By now, I've used Bacula for a decade with tape drives, but only now I'm
about to switch over to disk-based backup.

What confused me is that the example conf files supplied with current Bacula
releases don't give an example of the very basic disk-based setup, but just
show how to setup a virtual disk autochanger.
The whitepapers that Kern referred gave me an impression that the virtual
autochanger setup is primarily for high-end applications where may be
thousands of concurrent jobs, and where it is essential to have a more
precise control on how concurrent jobs simultaneously use several volumes.
I hope I got this right?

So I guess that within my small sandbox I'll be fine with just one file
storage device :-)

Kern and Dimitri, thank you for the answers!

Regards,
Timo