Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Maximum Bandwidth Per Job Question

2016-02-04 06:46:50
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Maximum Bandwidth Per Job Question
From: Heitor Faria <heitor AT bacula.com DOT br>
To: Ana Emília M. Arruda <emiliaarruda AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2016 09:41:06 -0200 (BRST)
There are hosts with 100Mb and 1000Mb adapters in the mix.
100 MB sux. =)
On 2/3/2016 1:00 AM, Randy Katz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am having the issue that servers that have multiple KVM VM's that are
> being backed up
> are throttling the servers resources and bringing it to a crawl.
I'm assuming you are referring to the machine CPU high usage bottleneck.
Are you using compression? If yes NEVER use a higher than 6 gzip level and give a try to level 1 (eg) or even LZO.
If your backed data is already compressed you will almost have no benefit of using this.
I tried
> staggering the Schedule
> times which resulted in the server being throttled for a shorter amount
> of time. I don't like
> my servers to be throttled, mainly because they need to serve!
Like Ana asked it would be nice to know what time frame your servers have less or none users (normally there always is and that's why Bacula name is Bacula and backups are run at night etc).
If your hardware can't do backups within the backup window maybe you should consider buy another storage. After all restore performance is also important to comply to your SLA/OLA.

Regards,
Heitor Medrado de Faria - LPIC-III | ITIL-F |  Bacula Systems Certified Administrator II
Do you need Bacula training? http://bacula.us/video-classes/