Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] how to debug a job

2015-01-23 15:38:57
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] how to debug a job
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 15:36:13 -0500
On 1/23/2015 2:33 PM, Heitor Faria wrote:
>> On 01/23/2015 12:22 PM, Radosław Korzeniewski wrote:
>>
>>> If you are using a vchanger then I guess it is a disk only backup, so why
>>> do you spool data? It is not required but making you backup slow down at
>>> least 2 times then standard job.
>> It's 2 times slower if your spool/despool is strictly sequential and the
>> same size pipes go in and out. If you have 10 clients spooling over a
>> 1Gb/s link, that's roughly 10MB/s/client. Iostat clocks ext4/basic sata
>> drives at around 110MB/s write speed, so despooling is 10 times faster.
>> If only the clients could keep the pipe full, it could be ~10 times
>> faster than the "standard" job. In a purely hypothetical perfectly
>> spherical world of uniform density, obviously, but still: no, 2x slow
>> down is not how it really works.
> Even though, IMHO, spooling disks backup is just "muda" (Japanese Term):
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muda_(Japanese_term)

No. It is not wasteful if it serves a purpose. The goal is to get the
client's part in the job done faster. Fast storage is expensive. A
shared spool area on fast disk gets the clients part done faster, and
then the SD can de-spool to slower (and cheaper) volume file storage
without affecting the client. Using spooling for disk volumes is exactly
the same reasoning as using it for tape volumes.