Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] how to debug a job

2015-01-23 14:07:03
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] how to debug a job
From: Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 13:04:12 -0600
On 01/23/2015 12:22 PM, Radosław Korzeniewski wrote:

> If you are using a vchanger then I guess it is a disk only backup, so why
> do you spool data? It is not required but making you backup slow down at
> least 2 times then standard job.

It's 2 times slower if your spool/despool is strictly sequential and the
same size pipes go in and out. If you have 10 clients spooling over a
1Gb/s link, that's roughly 10MB/s/client. Iostat clocks ext4/basic sata
drives at around 110MB/s write speed, so despooling is 10 times faster.
If only the clients could keep the pipe full, it could be ~10 times
faster than the "standard" job. In a purely hypothetical perfectly
spherical world of uniform density, obviously, but still: no, 2x slow
down is not how it really works.

--
Dimitri Maziuk
Programmer/sysadmin