Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] how to debug a job

2015-01-26 02:57:16
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] how to debug a job
From: "Roberts, Ben" <ben.roberts AT gsacapital DOT com>
To: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 07:51:10 +0000

Hi Kern,

>> Hard-coded, huh? Nobody's tried backing up that big data I keep hearing about?

> No, there is no change in the hard coded 6 day limit, and at the moment, I personally

> am not planning to implement anything, for two reasons: 1. I would like to limit the

> number of new Directives to what is absolutely necessary because there are already

> more than I can remember.  2. In my opinion, any Job that runs more than 6 days is

> virtually destined to have problems during restore -- i.e. you will likely have backup

> dates that span 6 days of time in a single job.  That appears to me to be something very undesirable.

Just to add my views to the 6-day limit conversation I frequently have issues running into this limit. As I write I am crossing my fingers hoping that a 44TB backup job will complete in time. If it maintains a constant speed to 100MB/sec it should in theory take 5.6 days however my other weekend jobs have slowed this average down to just 71MB/sec so I suspect it’s going to fail L. If it does, I think I’ll be out of options other than to patch and recompile Bacula to remove the limit myself.

This is a ZFS snapshot being written via bpipe so regardless of how long it takes to write out on the storage daemon there’s no risk of internal inconsistency. While I understand the reason behind the limit when backups are taken at the file level, in this case the six-day limit serves no technical purpose, and only causes me more work. An additional directive to configure this, even if not used by 99% of Bacula users would be much appreciated if only to save the maintenance overhead of patching each Bacula release.

Regards,

Ben Roberts