Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Weekly full backups on tape, Daily incrementals on File

2015-01-16 11:01:55
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Weekly full backups on tape, Daily incrementals on File
From: Phil Stracchino <phils AT caerllewys DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2015 10:07:43 -0500
On 01/16/15 09:45, Gustavo Lacerda wrote:
> Hi Uwe, thank you for your help. I have done a full backup on tape and
> it completed with no errors. The problem is that the daily job
> (differential backup on File) doesn't  recognize that a full backup on
> tape was done previously and asks to do a full backup on File first. Is
> there any way to fix this?
>
> Thanks,
> Gustavo

Gustavo,
To be blunt, that is because you're doing it wrong.

You have this (summarized for brevity):

>     > Job {
>     >   Name = homedir-bioinfo03-weekly
>     >   Level = Full
>     >   Schedule = WeeklyCycle
>     >   Storage = tape-autochanger
>     > }
>     >
>     > Job {
>     >   Name = homedir-bioinfo03-daily
>     >   Level = Differential
>     >   Schedule = WeeklyCycle
>     >   Storage = File
>     > }

Bacula cannot find a FULL backup to base your DIFFERENTIAL on *because
it's a different job*.  You cannot tell Bacula to base a differential
backup on the last full backup of a different job.  It doesn't work that
way.  It's like putting your Sunday roast into your neighbor's oven to
cook, then expecting to be able to take it out of your own to serve it.

Here's an example of how you *should* be doing it:

Schedule {
  Name = "Monthly Rotation"
  Run = Full 1st mon at 04:30
  Run = Differential 2nd-5th mon at 04:30
  Run = Incremental tue-sun at 04:30
}

JobDefs {
  Name = Backup
  Type = Backup
  Level = Full
  Pool =  Full-Tape
  Full Backup Pool = Full-Tape
  Differential Backup Pool = Diff-Disk
  Incremental Backup Pool = Incr-Disk
  Schedule = "Monthly Rotation"
}

Job {
  Name = "Babylon5 Backup"
  JobDefs = Backup
  Client = babylon5
  FileSet = "Gentoo Full Set"
  Pool = Full-Disk
  Full Backup Pool = Full-Disk
  Enabled = Yes
}

You see that there is just one job here.  The JobDefs file overrides the
storage for Differential and Incremental backups and sends them to disk
pools, while Full backups go to a tape pool.  Even though the Full
backups are on different storage, they are the same job, and so Bacula
can use the Full backup that ran to tape as a basis for the Differential
stored to disk.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications