Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] btape fill failure with LTO-3 on FreeBSD 9.3

2015-01-13 18:57:59
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] btape fill failure with LTO-3 on FreeBSD 9.3
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: Georg Altmann <george AT george-net DOT de>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 18:52:16 -0500
> On Jan 4, 2015, at 5:05 PM, Georg Altmann <george AT george-net DOT de> wrote:
>
> Hey,
>
> I am having trouble getting an HP LTO-3 tape working on FreeBSD 9.3
> amd64. The normal btape test finishes successfully but the btape fill
> test with two tapes fails. The test fails when btape tries to mount
> TestVolume1 after having written TestVolume1 and TestVolume2.
>
> Mount first tape. Press enter when ready:
> btape: btape.c:2519-0
> 04-Jan 17:33 btape JobId 0: Warning: acquire.c:276 Read acquire:
> vol_mgr.c:382 Could not reserve volume "TestVolume1" for append, because
> it will be read.
> Mount Volume "TestVolume1" on device "LTO3-0" (/dev/nsa0) and press
> return when ready:
> 04-Jan 17:33 btape JobId 0: Error: mount.c:834 Hey!!!!! WroteVol
> non-zero !!!!!
> btape: mount.c:835-0 Hey!!!!! WroteVol non-zero !!!!!
>
> The prompt
>
> Mount Volume "TestVolume1" on device "LTO3-0" (/dev/nsa0) and press
> return when ready:
>
> just re-appears every time I hit enter. I have attached the full btape
> output.
>
> What about the error message "Error: mount.c:834 Hey!!!!! WroteVol
> non-zero !!!!!" ?
>
> This is the bacula-sd configuration of the device:
>
> Device {
>  Name = LTO3-0
>  Media Type = LTO3
>  Archive Device = /dev/nsa0
>  AutoChanger = no;
>  Spool Directory = /bspool/bacula
>  AutomaticMount = yes;               # when device opened, read it
>  AlwaysOpen = yes;
>  RemovableMedia = yes;
>  RandomAccess = no;
>  Hardware End of Medium = no;
> }

Your configuration is interesting.  Is this a standalone tape drive?

Here is my SDLT tape drive, within a library.  The items I think you might want
to investigate for yourself are:

TWO EOF                 = yes
BSF at EOM              = yes
Fast Forward Space File = yes

For myself, I think I should look into:

AutomaticMount = yes;
AlwaysOpen = yes;
RemovableMedia = yes;
RandomAccess = no;

Device {
  Name                    = "DTL03"
  Description             = "Compaq Storage Works MSL5026 - first drive"
  Media Type              = SDLT
  Archive Device          = /dev/nsa0

  Autochanger             = yes
  Drive Index             = 0

  Offline On Unmount      = no
  Hardware End of Medium  = no
  BSF at EOM              = yes
  Backward Space Record   = no
  Fast Forward Space File = yes
  TWO EOF                 = yes

  Spool Directory         = /usr/local/bacula/spooling
  Maximum Spool Size      = 11759496889
  Maximum Job Spool Size  = 11759496889    # 10GB
}

> This comes as a bit of a surprise to me, since I successfully operated
> an HP LTO-1 drive with the same configuration on FreeBSD successfully.
> However, this was a previous version of FreeBSD and bacula.
> Operating the drive with tar and mt (fsf) works just fine.
>
> Might this just be a regression with btape?

When you ran your successful backup and restore spanning two LTO3 tapes, did
you do a diff on the original version?

> Does anyone run a similar configuration (FreeBSD 9.3, LTO-3)? If you
> could post your bacula-sd configuration that would be great.
>
> FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE-p2 amd64
>
> % pkg info bacula\*
> bacula-client-7.0.5_1
> bacula-server-7.0.5_2
>
> Regards
> Georg
>
> --
> PGP-Key: 0x1E320E65
> D150 7783 A0D1 7507 1266  C5B3 BBF1 9C42 1E32 0E65
>
> I don't like the idea of secret agencies to analyse and archive
> personal communication. GnuPG is available as open source, free as as in
> freedom, as a countermeasure. I use http://www.enigmail.net/ for Mozilla
> Thunderbird. If you can, please use a frontend of your choice to send me
> encrypted e-mail. See http://www.gnupg.org/ for an overview.

—
Dan Langille
http://langille.org/