Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] btape fill failure with LTO-3 on FreeBSD 9.3

2015-01-14 06:29:49
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] btape fill failure with LTO-3 on FreeBSD 9.3
From: Georg Altmann <george AT george-net DOT de>
To: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 12:27:24 +0100
Am 14.01.2015 um 00:52 schrieb Dan Langille:

>> On Jan 4, 2015, at 5:05 PM, Georg Altmann <george AT george-net DOT de>
>> wrote:
>> The prompt
>>
>> Mount Volume "TestVolume1" on device "LTO3-0" (/dev/nsa0) and press
>> return when ready:
>>
>> just re-appears every time I hit enter. I have attached the full btape
>> output.
>>
>> What about the error message "Error: mount.c:834 Hey!!!!! WroteVol
>> non-zero !!!!!" ?
>>
>> This is the bacula-sd configuration of the device:
>>
>> Device {
>>  Name = LTO3-0
>>  Media Type = LTO3
>>  Archive Device = /dev/nsa0
>>  AutoChanger = no;
>>  Spool Directory = /bspool/bacula
>>  AutomaticMount = yes;               # when device opened, read it
>>  AlwaysOpen = yes;
>>  RemovableMedia = yes;
>>  RandomAccess = no;
>>  Hardware End of Medium = no;
>> }
>
> Your configuration is interesting.  Is this a standalone tape drive?

Yes, this is a standalone drive.

>> This comes as a bit of a surprise to me, since I successfully operated
>> an HP LTO-1 drive with the same configuration on FreeBSD successfully.
>> However, this was a previous version of FreeBSD and bacula.
>> Operating the drive with tar and mt (fsf) works just fine.
>>
>> Might this just be a regression with btape?
>
> When you ran your successful backup and restore spanning two LTO3 tapes, did
> you do a diff on the original version?

Yes, I md5'ed the files before the backup and after the restore and
diffed the checksums. The checksums were identical.

I am quite convinced that that configuration I have is fine and that
this is a btape problem.
The drive is now in productive operation (remote!) and I don't want to
mess with the config. I might do some tests once I am on location again.
To my understanding, it would make sense to look into how btape differs
from bacula-sd in handling the drive.

As said before, this configuration has worked just fine for LTO1 drives
on FreeBSD with and without an autoloader. I am guessing that the
SCSI/IOCTL interface hasn't changed between the LTO generations.

Thank you for your input, Dan!

Regards,
Georg

--
PGP-Key: 0x1E320E65
D150 7783 A0D1 7507 1266  C5B3 BBF1 9C42 1E32 0E65

I don't like the idea of secret agencies to analyse and archive
personal communication. GnuPG is available as open source, free as as in
freedom, as a countermeasure. I use http://www.enigmail.net/ for Mozilla
Thunderbird. If you can, please use a frontend of your choice to send me
encrypted e-mail. See http://www.gnupg.org/ for an overview.