Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Upgrade question.

2015-01-13 11:09:29
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Upgrade question.
From: Bryn Hughes <linux AT nashira DOT ca>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 08:06:48 -0800
On 2015-01-08 03:22 PM, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
> I am planning to upgrade bacula from 5.2.13 to 7.0.5. I will back-up the
> current
> catalogue, remove 5.2.13, install 7.0.5, copy the conf files from 5.2.13 to
> 7.0.5, restore the catalogue and start bacula again.
>
> Is that feasible?
>
> I also have to back-up a Windows 7 system. Which version will work on that
> system? Right now I am using version 5.2.10 on Windows.
>
> My host and the other clients are all Linux Fedora 21.

Yep, it is feasible though you are making more work than necessary.
There is no reason to remove the database or remove the conf files; in
fact it could be detrimental.  Upgrading in place will ensure the proper
scripts are executed to upgrade the database, you'll have to do them
manually otherwise.

Bacula 7.0.5 will work fine with 5.x clients, so you can leave the
Windows clients as-is.  It is critical that the storage and director
daemons are all the same version, but clients can be older.  I have a
mixed environment - my director/storage are on 7.0.5 and my clients are
a few different v5.2.x versions.

Bryn