Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] btape fill failure with LTO-3 on FreeBSD 9.3

2015-01-04 17:33:34
Subject: [Bacula-users] btape fill failure with LTO-3 on FreeBSD 9.3
From: Georg Altmann <george AT george-net DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2015 23:05:37 +0100
Hey,

I am having trouble getting an HP LTO-3 tape working on FreeBSD 9.3
amd64. The normal btape test finishes successfully but the btape fill
test with two tapes fails. The test fails when btape tries to mount
TestVolume1 after having written TestVolume1 and TestVolume2.

Mount first tape. Press enter when ready:
btape: btape.c:2519-0
04-Jan 17:33 btape JobId 0: Warning: acquire.c:276 Read acquire:
vol_mgr.c:382 Could not reserve volume "TestVolume1" for append, because
it will be read.
Mount Volume "TestVolume1" on device "LTO3-0" (/dev/nsa0) and press
return when ready:
04-Jan 17:33 btape JobId 0: Error: mount.c:834 Hey!!!!! WroteVol
non-zero !!!!!
btape: mount.c:835-0 Hey!!!!! WroteVol non-zero !!!!!

The prompt

Mount Volume "TestVolume1" on device "LTO3-0" (/dev/nsa0) and press
return when ready:

just re-appears every time I hit enter. I have attached the full btape
output.

What about the error message "Error: mount.c:834 Hey!!!!! WroteVol
non-zero !!!!!" ?

This is the bacula-sd configuration of the device:

Device {
  Name = LTO3-0
  Media Type = LTO3
  Archive Device = /dev/nsa0
  AutoChanger = no;
  Spool Directory = /bspool/bacula
  AutomaticMount = yes;               # when device opened, read it
  AlwaysOpen = yes;
  RemovableMedia = yes;
  RandomAccess = no;
  Hardware End of Medium = no;
}

This comes as a bit of a surprise to me, since I successfully operated
an HP LTO-1 drive with the same configuration on FreeBSD successfully.
However, this was a previous version of FreeBSD and bacula.
Operating the drive with tar and mt (fsf) works just fine.

Might this just be a regression with btape?

Does anyone run a similar configuration (FreeBSD 9.3, LTO-3)? If you
could post your bacula-sd configuration that would be great.

FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE-p2 amd64

% pkg info bacula\*
bacula-client-7.0.5_1
bacula-server-7.0.5_2

Regards
Georg

--
PGP-Key: 0x1E320E65
D150 7783 A0D1 7507 1266  C5B3 BBF1 9C42 1E32 0E65

I don't like the idea of secret agencies to analyse and archive
personal communication. GnuPG is available as open source, free as as in
freedom, as a countermeasure. I use http://www.enigmail.net/ for Mozilla
Thunderbird. If you can, please use a frontend of your choice to send me
encrypted e-mail. See http://www.gnupg.org/ for an overview.