Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Configuration reload for bacula-sd

2014-10-28 15:25:52
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Configuration reload for bacula-sd
From: Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 14:23:41 -0500
On 10/28/2014 01:46 PM, Alan Brown wrote:
> On 28/10/14 18:39, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:

>> (As an aside, bacula, specifically, seems to force you to use different
>> Media Type for each physical device so I don't get how it would work
>> with multiple drives in the same jukebox, either -- thankfully I don't
>> need to.)
>
> It's been more than happy to set the media type to LTO-5 on 7 drives,
> LTO-2 on 2 (different changer) and LTO-6 on another.
>
> What it can't handle is that you can load media types LTO4 RW in the
> LTO5 drives and also LTO3 RO, which would be extremely handy.

We used ait-1 tapes in ait-3 drive with notworker and just ignored the
"premature eot" (or whatever it was) barf.

But I was referring to Kern's

> Date: Sat, 11 May 2013 07:32:37 +0200
> From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
> Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] backup to multiple disks
> Yes, Media Type is very important.  It must
> be in the Storage resources on the Director
> side, and notice that as I mentioned before, on
> the SD side, Autochanger really just groups a
> number of Devices.  The Media Type must be
> in each Device, because each one can be different
> so it is not in the Autochanger resource.
>
> There is no restriction for multiple devices to have
> the same Media Type, but if they are disk devices
> and don't have the same Archive Device, Bacula
> won't be able to "mount" them.  So, use the same
> Media Type only in Devices that have the same Archive
> Device.

I expect someone had reasons to code it that way for disk devices
specifically, and they may even seemed good at the time....

--
Dimitri Maziuk
Programmer/sysadmin