Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Recycling problem.

2014-10-18 09:16:45
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Recycling problem.
From: Ana Emília M. Arruda <emiliaarruda AT gmail DOT com>
To: Giuseppe Vitillaro <giuseppe AT vitillaro DOT org>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2014 10:14:01 -0300
Yes, the default for "purge oldest volume" is no.

So you have just two volumes in this pool. As Kern said "Yes, there can be typically a few seconds delay between when a volume is chosen for use and when it expires." and this could be the issue you are facing.

Maybe another thing additionally Josh's suggestion that could help you to avoid this problem. I'm talking about having an admin job running after Th backup job to do the prune instead of having the "AutoPrune = yes" configured. Futhermore, this way can make your backups go faster.

I think Bacula's recycling volume algorithm is working correctly and you are facing this problem because of your "volume use duration" time configured. Try to set this value somewhat closer to the time that you want the volume be available for your backup jobs. You can do this based on your last time written values for these volumes.

Best regards,
Ana

On Sat, Oct 18, 2014 at 5:57 AM, Giuseppe Vitillaro <giuseppe AT vitillaro DOT org> wrote:

On Friday 17 October 2014 21:41:49 Ana Emília M. Arruda wrote:

> Hi Giuseppe,

> Yes, this could happen if bacula couldn't find a reciclable volume and you

> have the "purge oldest volume = yes" directive configured and this is, for

> Bacula, the oldest volume. The purge oldest volume doesn't respect the

> volume retention period.

> Best regards,

> Ana

I was almost sure, but I just "grepped" all

my bacula conf file.

I'm sure the directive "purge oldest volume" is not present

in my files, so the default, for what I can read, should be

a plain "no".

Correct?

This is the definition of my "Incr" pool

Pool {

Name = Incr

Pool Type = Backup

Recycle = yes