Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Recycling problem.

2014-10-16 19:35:14
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Recycling problem.
From: Giuseppe Vitillaro <giuseppe AT vitillaro DOT org>
To: Giuseppe Vitillaro <giuseppe AT vitillaro DOT org>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 01:28:58 +0200 (CEST)
Apologies for appending to my own post, but I found
another occurence of the same pattern, I didn't notice,
in another job of some months ago, again attached to
this message. The same volumes are involved, and these,
for what I can see from my logs, are the only occurences
of the pattern.

It looks like that a volume exceeding the "use duration"
once the job has choosed the backup volume, create this
problem.

May I guess the routine "find_next_volume_for_append()"
in the source next_vol.c of the director could have
a bug, at least in the version 5.2.13 (19Jan13) I'm using?

In all the other cases I've verified, almost one year
of correctly running jobs, the "use duration"
have not been checked just after the beginning of the
job, once the director has already decided the volume
to use, but at a different time.

I may be on the wrong track, but if I'm right bacula
may overwrite a non empty, not purged volume.

Something, I guess, all the bacula users would hate,
isn't?

G. Vitillaro.

I can't understand why the bacula director, 5.2.13 under a stable updated gentoo, recycled one volume "000506L4", the correct one in the slot 9 of my changer, but instead the storage daemon recycled the current volume mounted in drive1, from slot4, volume "000529L4" and without actually doing any pruning on the volume, pruning that was correctly performed for the "000506L4" volume.

Note that the volume "000506L4" exceeded "Max configure use duration" just before the records for volume "000506L4" had been pruned.

After this I've just a sequence, complete log attached to this message, of

Recycled volume "000506L4" Recycled volume "000529L4" on device "lto1" (/dev/nlto1), all previous data lost.

This configuration of bacula had been running for quite a while without a glitch, almost 10 months now and I had not any hardware error on my library at the time of this job, at least for what I can see.

I can't understand what is going on.

Any clue?

Regards, G. Vitillaro.

--
Giuseppe Vitillaro                  |  E-Mail : giuseppe AT vitillaro DOT org
CNR - ISTM                          |  06123 Perugia  Phone:+39.075.585-5518