Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Recycling problem.

2014-10-17 12:31:58
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Recycling problem.
From: Giuseppe Vitillaro <giuseppe AT vitillaro DOT org>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 18:29:38 +0200

On Friday 17 October 2014 12:05:35 Ana Emília M. Arruda wrote:

> Hi Giuseppe,

> I would like to append some comments here about your "volume use duration"

> configuration. As the directive name says, this is used to leave the volume

> available for Bacula "during" your backup jobs (at least the ones you want

> the data goes to that volume). Maybe you are having volume retention time

> troubleshooting here. If Bacula is using 000529L4 instead of 000506L4, this

> is because both volumes have a status (purged, append, recycle) that

> permits bacula to choose which one is the best one (guided by its volume

> recycling algorithm). So, it seems the 000529L4 has a last written time

> older than the 000506L4.

> I recommend you to put your "volume use duration" in hours, like Josh

> Fisher said, and just the time that you need the volume be available

> (append) for receiving data. And take a look at your volume retention

> period. If you have 10 volumes and want just one of them be available at a

> time, set a volume use duration of 9 days (you can set in hours if you are

> sure about the last written time of your volumes).

> Best regards,

> Ana

The volume 000529L4 had status "Append" at the time the

jobs started, then moved to status "Used", at the time

of the "mount".

Beside that the volume 000529L4 was written

the day before the run, has a retention of 7 days and

was not neither "pruned", neither "purged" and not

marked as "Recycled".

Bacula wrote over a non empty, not pruned, not purged,

marked as "Used", Volume, leaving "dangling" jobs and

files alive into the database.

This shouldn't NEVER happen.

Am I wrong?

G. Vitillaro.