Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Fwd: Forcing baccula to purge/recycle a tape instead of appending?!

2014-10-15 13:07:00
Subject: [Bacula-users] Fwd: Forcing baccula to purge/recycle a tape instead of appending?!
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Bacula Users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 13:04:18 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 12:59 PM
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Forcing baccula to purge/recycle a tape
instead of appending?!
To: Thorsten Reichelt <bacula-users AT thorsten-reichelt DOT de>

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 12:45 PM, Thorsten Reichelt
<bacula-users AT thorsten-reichelt DOT de> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have a problem with my tape pool configuration.
> I want to use exactly 12 LTO tapes (one tape per month).
> After 12 month the oldest tape shall be reused without appending new data.
>
> But bacula seems to ignore my recycle and purge configuration (see below).
> After one year I reuse the old tape and bacula appends the new data to it.
> Then, after the second year has passed, the data is still appended to
> the tape!
>
> Now I have the problem that my september tape ran out of free space and
> I was
> asked to insert the august tape... a few MB later that tape was full
> also and
> bacula asked for the july tape.... :/ :/
>
> So I manually purged the september tape and restarted all related backup
> jobs.
> How can I configure bacula to purge the oldest tape instead of appending
> to it
> for more than two years?

Remember that the retention period does not even begin until the tape
is marked Full or Used. And then after it is marked Full or Used the
period is calculated from the LastWrittenDate on the volume (stored in
the database).

If you want to control how long a volume is used bacula has a few
directives that limit the use duration and the number of jobs and
total bytes written. When these limits are reached a volume will
marked Used and the retention period will begin.

John

--
John M. Drescher