Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Forcing baccula to purge/recycle a tape instead of appending?!

2014-10-15 12:47:57
Subject: [Bacula-users] Forcing baccula to purge/recycle a tape instead of appending?!
From: Thorsten Reichelt <bacula-users AT thorsten-reichelt DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 18:45:19 +0200
Hi!

I have a problem with my tape pool configuration.
I want to use exactly 12 LTO tapes (one tape per month).
After 12 month the oldest tape shall be reused without appending new data.

But bacula seems to ignore my recycle and purge configuration (see below).
After one year I reuse the old tape and bacula appends the new data to it.
Then, after the second year has passed, the data is still appended to
the tape!

Now I have the problem that my september tape ran out of free space and
I was
asked to insert the august tape... a few MB later that tape was full
also and
bacula asked for the july tape.... :/ :/

So I manually purged the september tape and restarted all related backup
jobs.
How can I configure bacula to purge the oldest tape instead of appending
to it
for more than two years?

My pool configuration for the tape looks like this:

# ======================
Pool {
  Name = MonthlyTape
  Use Volume Once = no
  Pool Type = Backup
  AutoPrune = yes
  Recycle Current Volume = yes
  Volume Retention = 12 month
  Recycle = yes
}

Would it make sense to set the retention time to "11 month 1 days"?

Thank you very much!!

  Thorsten