Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Forcing baccula to purge/recycle a tape instead of appending?!

2014-10-15 13:04:04
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Forcing baccula to purge/recycle a tape instead of appending?!
From: Bryn Hughes <linux AT nashira DOT ca>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 09:58:03 -0700
There are a couple of things you can do in combination to get the result
you want...

First off, in your pool set a 'volume use duration' - this will restrict
how long a time span of data can exist on a tape.  For instance in your
case you could set the volume use duration to 32 days, this would tell
Bacula not to append any data to a tape 32 days after the first data was
written to it.  The tape will get a status of 'USED' rather than
'APPEND' once that time period passes.  Regardless of what happens with
the expiry / purge jobs this will prevent the scenario you are
describing from ever happening - Bacula would instead complain that it
could not find a tape if one wasn't available, it would not append data
to an 'old' tape until the jobs on it were purged.

Secondly yes, set the volume retention lower.  Bacula will not purge a
tape unless it needs to so it won't automatically purge data when it
hits the volume retention date - even if you did need data off of a tape
that was 11 months and 28 days old but Bacula hadn't needed the tape for
writing yet, the data would still be there so you won't be loosing anything.

Bryn