Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Storage to storage feature in 7.0.x

2014-05-20 17:09:51
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Storage to storage feature in 7.0.x
From: Josip Deanovic <djosip+news AT linuxpages DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 23:04:14 +0200
On Tuesday 2014-05-20 19:04:15 Kern Sibbald wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I suspect that you are trying to do something a bit too complicated from
> the beginning.  I recommend starting with a very simple copy or
> migration job within a single storage daemon and ensure that it works.
> Then point the output storage daemon to an external SD.  If your setup
> is simple then it will work -- the code path for doing a SD to SD
> transfer is identical to the code path for the SD to itself.

I have used Copy and Migrate jobs only few times and that was few years
ago, nevertheless I pretty much understand how Copy and Migrate jobs
are supposed to work from user's point of view.

However, since it was few years ago on a different bacula setup I might
be missing something even though I checked my configuration many times.

Tomorrow I will setup and test a Copy job on a single SD and after that
I will test setup with additional SD on the same server.

I didn't go through all this at first because I was convinced (and I still
am) that my Copy job is properly setup and that there are no network
issues.

> There are no new directives for this, and hence there is no need for any
> documentation other than what is already written for copy and migrate.

Thank you for the info, I suspected that it was the case but couldn't
be sure since I was not able to get it work properly.

As I mentioned in the related bug report, in the debug output on the
remote storage it looks like a wrong job name is trying to get copied
(Copy job instead of original job).

> The one exception is that the IP address of the second storage daemon is
> used by the Director to contact it, and it is also used by the reading
> SD to contact the writing SD, consequently the reading SD must be able
> to access the writing SD with the same IP address as the Director.
> Providing you are not doing anything tricky (as a lot of ISPs do) you
> should have no problems.

My SD daemons are located in different networks but they are able to
access to all three ports (9101, 9102, 9103) in both directions although I
believe that only port needed here should be 9103.
I have checked the connectivity with nc(1) server/client so firewalls and
routers should be ok.

> I did hundreds of copy/migration jobs testing this new feature.  I only
> did a few with a totally separate SD though.

I'll make additional tests tomorrow and report here with more info.

> If you had to read the Bareos pages you are already in trouble -- their
> implementation is more complex than that in Bacula.  Bacula handles
> everything automatically with no new directives.

It seems that they are not using additional directives either.
Not sure if the code is the same or not.

I wasn't able to google anything else related to "SD to SD" feature.
I guess that this conversation will be indexed by google thus other
people will not have to speculate too much about this feature.

Kind regards

--
Josip Deanovic