Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Storage to storage feature in 7.0.x

2014-05-20 13:11:19
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Storage to storage feature in 7.0.x
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: Josip Deanovic <djosip+news AT linuxpages DOT net>, bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 19:04:15 +0200
Hello,

I suspect that you are trying to do something a bit too complicated from
the beginning.  I recommend starting with a very simple copy or
migration job within a single storage daemon and ensure that it works.
Then point the output storage daemon to an external SD.  If your setup
is simple then it will work -- the code path for doing a SD to SD
transfer is identical to the code path for the SD to itself.

There are no new directives for this, and hence there is no need for any
documentation other than what is already written for copy and migrate.

The one exception is that the IP address of the second storage daemon is
used by the Director to contact it, and it is also used by the reading
SD to contact the writing SD, consequently the reading SD must be able
to access the writing SD with the same IP address as the Director.
Providing you are not doing anything tricky (as a lot of ISPs do) you
should have no problems.

I did hundreds of copy/migration jobs testing this new feature.  I only
did a few with a totally separate SD though.

If you had to read the Bareos pages you are already in trouble -- their
implementation is more complex than that in Bacula.  Bacula handles
everything automatically with no new directives.

Best regards,
Kern