Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula and High availability

2014-05-09 18:51:59
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula and High availability
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: Egoitz Aurrekoetxea <egoitz AT ramattack DOT net>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2014 18:48:23 -0400
On May 7, 2014, at 6:12 AM, Egoitz Aurrekoetxea <egoitz AT ramattack DOT net>
wrote:

> Good morning,
>
> Have been thinking in how could be setup a bacula infrastructure with HA. You
> could for example if you use Postgres or Mysql the databases replicate the
> servers through it’s own replication protocol and will be up to date. For
> backing up pools you could always something like ZFS replication, DRBD or
> whatever…. but, now… Imagine the following situation :
>
> - Bacula infrastructure A goes down…
> - Bacula infrastructure B is up and replicated from A…. but :
>
> - The database could be after or before the status of the tapes in the pool…
> (talking about File Storage)
> - The same for the pools and pool’s tapes repesct to the database….
>
> How does bacula manage this situations?. I mean… Is there any possible way of
> ensuring the replicated content (the combination of both the database and
> pool’s tapes) is reliable for using it in case of disaster?. How else is this
> advised to be done?.

For any jobs that have finished, and for all replication which has completed,
you have everything.  But that’s not what you’re asking.

Attribute streaming (the act of putting files and jobs into the database) can
occur during or at the end of the job.  I suggest that neither is better than
the other in this case because of my next point.

Speculation:

Until a Volume is completely written, it is incomplete.  You can’t do much with
it.   Until the job finishes, any error results in a Volume marked in error.

So… really, any jobs in progress will be lost.

If the above speculation is true, then it’s all down to your replication
solutions, both volumes and database.

There’s a lot of moving parts here.

Really: does your requirement really need HA of this level?

Would it not be sufficient to accept that if stuff goes down, what you have is
what you have?

--
Dan Langille - http://langille.org