Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Fwd: Spooling attrs takes forever

2013-11-20 15:16:40
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Fwd: Spooling attrs takes forever
From: Charles Douglass <chas.douglass AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 12:13:34 -0800
On 11/20/2013 12:29 AM, lst_hoe02 AT kwsoft DOT de wrote:
> Zitat von Charles Douglass <chas.douglass AT gmail DOT com>:

>>> The mysqltuner script is a pretty decent basic tool.  The thing you need
>>> to keep in mind regarding the "mysql-large", "mysql-huge" sample
>>> configurations that are STILL widely distributed in MySQL packages (and
>>> still widely used by the unsuspecting) is that most of those sample
>>> configurations were originally written back when a "large" server was
>>> one that might have as much as a whole 32MB of RAM.  These days, that is
>>> less than the compiled-in default size of some individual MySQL
>>> *buffers*.  So the unwary install the "suggested" configurations, and
>>> can't understand why MySQL is performing like a geriatric tortoise.
>>>

>> I ran mysqltuner before the backup and increased a couple of buffer
>> sizes as well as taking this suggestion:
>>
>> innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit=0
>>

>> Then I ran a full backup and see this:
>>
>> 18-Nov 12:45 maple-sd JobId 46: Sending spooled attrs to the
>> Director. Despooling 153,470,245 bytes ...
>> 18-Nov 21:41 maple-dir JobId 46: Bacula maple-dir 5.2.6 (21Feb12):
>>   Build OS:               x86_64-pc-linux-gnu ubuntu 13.04
>>
>> So spooling/despooling took just about 9 hours.
>>
> Even for MySQL on a not too fast machine this is ridiculus slow. We
> despool around 1.2GB attributes within around 2 minutes to our
> Postgres server. Something is still wrong with your setup. Have you
> checked with tools like iotop,top,vmstat what the server is actually
> doing during the 9 hours.
>
> Regards
>
> Andreas

iostat during the attrs despooling shows:

  334 be/3 root        0.00 B/s    0.00 B/s  0.00 % 99.99 % [jbd2/sda1-8]
24997 be/4 mysql       0.00 B/s   64.98 K/s  0.00 %  0.12 % mysqld

Doing some research this appears to be a problem between MySQL and ext4
with file system journaling (jbd2/sda1-8).

Thanks, everyone, for helping me get this far.

My next step will be to create an ext3 partition and move all my MySQL
Dbs there.

Chas Douglass