Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backup of many small files

2013-11-04 13:30:29
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backup of many small files
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2013 13:27:42 -0500
On 11/04/13 13:00, Josh Fisher wrote:
> I would add that it is critical (IMO) to place the DB storage on
> different physical drives than those holding the Bacula spool area. At
> the end of a job Bacula SD must read the spooled attributes and update
> the catalog. If spooled attributes and catalog are on the same spindles,
> then the disk thrashing negates the advantage of attribute spooling. I
> might also add that placing the catalog on SSD resulted in a hefty
> performance gain.

Seconded.  Wherever possible, you always want your DB either on separate
spindles or on solid-state media where seek latency is not an issue.

> As for clustering using DRBD, the catalog and spool area should still be
> on different spindles.

Honestly, based upon experience as a DBA at a hosting company that hosts
MANY customers using MySQL, my first advice on using MySQL on top of
DRBD would be "Just don't."  I could cite lists of customers who have
had complete unrecoverable DB losses as a result of problems or
interactions involving DRBD, and had to rebuild from DB backups.  If
you're going to cluster MySQL, use a shared-nothing configuration if you
possibly can.

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.