Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Strange issue with backup size

2013-04-06 16:42:45
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Strange issue with backup size
From: ganiuszka <ganiuszka AT gmail DOT com>
To: Alberto Caporro <a.caporro AT consulthink DOT it>
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2013 22:39:24 +0200
2013/4/6 Alberto Caporro <a.caporro AT consulthink DOT it>
Hi everybody,

I have an update on this; last night the backup job ran again, this time
as an incremental one. The job terminated successfully, but backup size
again doesn't make sense, being roughly 88G (see log at the end of the
mail).

Hi,

That is because you are using data encryption. Sparse files FileSet option does not work with data encryption. It seem that it is due to this code from src/filed/backup.c from your Bacula 5.2.6 version:

  if (ff_pkt->flags & FO_ENCRYPT) {
      if ((ff_pkt->flags & FO_SPARSE) || (ff_pkt->flags & FO_OFFSETS)) {
         Jmsg0(jcr, M_FATAL, 0, _("Encrypting sparse or offset data not supported.\n"));
         goto err;
      }

If you disable data encryption for this one then your backup will be have proper data size.

I see that you have at least two options:

1. Send message to mailing list about lacking text in documentation about sparse files in software encryption chapter and vice versa.
2. Ask Bacula developers if it is possible to improve encryption functionality for sparse files.

Regards.
Marcin "gani" Haba