Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Strange issue with backup size

2013-04-08 09:06:34
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Strange issue with backup size
From: "Alberto Caporro" <a.caporro AT consulthink DOT it>
To: "Radosław Korzeniewski" <radoslaw AT korzeniewski DOT net>
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2013 15:03:13 +0200
Hi Radosław,

> It is not about a file size. All file metadata are unencrypted and
> simply
> available on the Bacula volume, so you can get it directly from volume
> or
> catalog.

Yes, that's for sure, and being this the scenario, I feel that the
sparse file issue has a much lower relevance, at least from a security
point of view.

> It is about "Known plaintext attack".
> I could be wrong about it and Bacula encryption could not be
> susceptible to
> this kind of attacks.

I'm not a crypto professional at all, but my gut feeling is that
expanding sparse files to their "theoretical" size before encrypting
only makes this much worse, since you end up encrypting long sequences
of zeros and providing the attacker with the easiest possible scenario
to mount a known plaintext attack.

Regards,
Alberto