Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] How to remove disk volumes.

2013-03-15 10:07:12
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] How to remove disk volumes.
From: Uwe Schuerkamp <uwe.schuerkamp AT nionex DOT net>
To: Stephen Pierce <spierce AT verifyle DOT com>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 15:04:14 +0100
On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 08:57:43PM +0000, Stephen Pierce wrote:
> I've been using Bacula for only a few weeks, so I haven't gotten to the point
> where my first backup job is older than my retension time (30 days). However,
> when I used to do backups on real tape (~1998), I would recycle a piece of
> tape media once all jobs on the tape were beyond the retention time.
>
> Since Bacula treats disk storage like tape media, can Bacula recycle old
> file-based media too? If it could, then you wouldn't need to delete old disk
> volumes, just have them automatically or manually recycled.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with automatic or manual recycling of
> disk-storage media?
>
> Steve

Sure thing, bacula handles disk based volumes quite well. You can
define a maximum number of volumes in a pool and have bacula
auto-label them and then, as the pool fills up and reaches its max
no. of volumes, bacula will recycle the oldest volume in the pool and
truncate / overwrite it in the process.

Check the docs on pool definitions, there's a plethora of options to
provide you with very fine grained volume / pool handling.

Cheers, Uwe

NIONEX --- Ein Unternehmen der Bertelsmann SE & Co. KGaA