Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] How to remove disk volumes.

2013-03-10 20:33:25
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] How to remove disk volumes.
From: Bill Arlofski <waa-bacula AT revpol DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 20:13:41 -0400
On 03/10/13 16:33, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
> I run bacula using disk based volume files. I am shortly running out of space
> of
> my backup device. Apparently there are lots of files which are no longer
> needed.
> What is the mechanism of removing such volumes. There are commands like
> delete,
> purge and prune and they all remove something but definitely not the media
> itself. How can that be accomplished in the framework of bacula?

Hi Erik

Bacula does not delete (rm) disk based volumes.

If you extend the concept that Bacula treats disk volumes the same as tape
volumes, you can see that Bacula also can not 'delete' (throw in trash, crush,
shred etc) a physical tape either. That would be the administrator's job. :)

To remove unneeded disk volumes, first you need to issue the delete command in
bconsole to remove them from the database. For example:

* delete volume=VolName yes

or in a script to remove several:

for vol in "list of volumes"; do
  echo "delete volume=$vol yes" | bconsole
done

Then, you need to manually rm the file volumes from the filesystem.

The delete, prune and purge commands modify the database, but do not touch
your actual media.

Hope this helps.

--
Bill Arlofski