Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] How to remove disk volumes.

2013-03-14 17:48:35
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] How to remove disk volumes.
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Stephen Pierce <spierce AT verifyle DOT com>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 17:46:16 -0400
> I've been using Bacula for only a few weeks, so I haven't gotten to the point
> where my first backup job is older than my retension time (30 days).

I hope you set limits on the volume usage. Remember that the retention
period does not even begin until a volume is marked Full or Used.
Without limits specified in your pool resource bacula will use a
single volume for each pool until the filesystem fills up then it will
mark the volume Full and then the retention period will begin. This is
not what most people would want so make sure you specify one of job or
volume size limitations in your pool resource and make sure if you did
not that you use bconsole update pool from resource then update all
volumes in pool to apply the config to existing volumes.

> However, when I used to do backups on real tape (~1998), I would recycle a
> piece of tape media once all jobs on the tape were beyond the retention time.
>
> Since Bacula treats disk storage like tape media, can Bacula recycle old
> file-based media too? If it could, then you wouldn't need to delete old disk
> volumes, just have them automatically or manually recycled.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with automatic or manual recycling of
> disk-storage media?

Yes bacula will recycle disk based volumes the same as tape. Some
users just want bacula to delete old volumes because they have bacula
name them with the date in the volume so it would not make sense with
this labeling to reuse the old volumes.

John