Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Problem with concurrent mixed priority jobs

2013-03-05 09:39:19
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Problem with concurrent mixed priority jobs
From: Uwe Schuerkamp <uwe.schuerkamp AT nionex DOT net>
To: stefano scotti <scottistefano91 AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 15:36:45 +0100
On Tue, Mar 05, 2013 at 03:19:29PM +0100, stefano scotti wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My director allows 5 concurrent jobs, and each job has *Allow Mixed Priority
> * set to yes.
>
> My aim is that even if a slow job takes a lot of time to finish, there will
> be other 4 job slots to use so that the backup system can still work
> despite of a really really slow job.
>
> So i can have 4 slow jobs and my system will keep scheduling fast jobs
> anyway.
>
> Now, the problem is that only jobs with an higher priority will be
> scheduled, lower priority jobs still have to wait even if there are 4 free
> job slots!
>
> Is it possible to instruct bacula to let lower priority job be scheduled
> not worrying about the priority of current scheduled jobs but only on the
> number of free job slots?
>
> Thanks.

Hi Stefano,

I don't understand why you're using mixed priorities to begin with as
these have nothing to do with how fast or slow a job runs. You can
simply run all jobs at the same priority and a slow job of a different
priority won't hog your scheduling slots at all. Depending on your
hardware it's usually safe to up the number of concurrent jobs. We
generally use 8-16 concurrent jobs on our bacula directors.

Cheers, Uwe

--
NIONEX --- Ein Unternehmen der Bertelsmann SE & Co. KGaA