Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Problem with concurrent mixed priority jobs

2013-03-06 07:30:23
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Problem with concurrent mixed priority jobs
From: stefano scotti <scottistefano91 AT gmail DOT com>
To: Uwe Schuerkamp <uwe.schuerkamp AT nionex DOT net>, stefano scotti <scottistefano91 AT gmail DOT com>, bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 13:27:17 +0100

2013/3/6 Uwe Schuerkamp <uwe.schuerkamp AT nionex DOT net>
On Tue, Mar 05, 2013 at 04:07:36PM +0100, stefano scotti wrote:

> I'm using mixed priorities because i want to handle the case in which all
> job slots are occupied.
>
> For example, if there are only a free slot i'd like to assign it to a more
> important job (like mailboxes) instead of a not critical job (like server
> configurations).
>
> Are you suggesting that, because of bacula behavior, i should increment the
> number of slots instead of assign priorities to the critical jobs?
>
> I don't like very much this solution... a lot of job will eat my bandwidth
> slowing every job scheduled in that time, included the critical ones that
> should be completed as fast as possible!
> That's exactly what i want to avoid.
>
> Thank you again.

Why don't you use different schedules and start the important jobs
ahead of the slow ones? You an also split slow jobs into separate jobs
(filesets) to have them finish in less than 24 hours. Another option
could be to rsync the slow clients to on-disk storage and then backing
up the local fs on the bacula server (that's how I handled two
especially slow clients with millions of small files).

Cheers, Uwe
--
NIONEX --- Ein Unternehmen der Bertelsmann SE & Co. KGaA

Thanks Uwe,

I think i will use one of your workarounds, because they are workarounds.

The best solution was to allow mixing lower priorities even though an higher job is running.
Something like Allow Lower Mixed Priority directive.
But if bacula's devolopers didn't think about that, i have to sadly conform.

Thank you again.