Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] windows enterprise is not working, x32/x64.

2013-01-15 11:05:23
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] windows enterprise is not working, x32/x64.
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 11:02:33 -0500
On Jan 14, 2013, at 3:41 PM, Adrian Reyer wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 06:00:18PM -0500, Bryan Harris wrote:
>>> Bacula community edition will continue, unix, linux, windows products?
>> I think he means "Will Windows be supported?", or "Will Windows continue?",
>> or something along those lines.  Here is my understanding, feel free to
>> correct me if I'm wrong:
>
> As I understand the mentioned page, there won't be precompiled Windows
> Community Binaries anymore. However, windows as a client will still be
> supported, but you have to compile it yourself.
> As windows users/administrators are not as used to compiling things as
> linux/unix users are, there is an offer of Bacula Systems on precompiled
> Enterprise versions. Alternatively someone else could just step up and
> offer the precompiled windows binaries.
>
> If I misgot this and future windows fd-development ceased to exist, the
> code about to be removed, I'd see it as a serious problem as it damages
> the credibility of bacula as an available system.

Umm, where did you get that idea from?  Wild speculation, without foundation
from what I understand.

There has been no mention of removing support for Windows clients.

> Bacula Systems is
> not a solution to this as it is not free software and if tomorrow
> Bacula Systems decides to only support e.g. Android as the single
> plattform, there is no source to continue with. Don't misunderstand me
> there, I really like Bacula Systems providing the Enterprise windows
> binaries. I'd prefer them to provide the community binaries, though,

The community is free to provide community binaries.  it is clear that nobody
in the community is willing to do that work.

> and
> while they are at it, perhaps 'certified' community binaries for the
> major linux distributions.

I think the project has no business supplying binaries.  I believe that is the
responsibility  of each
project (e.g. FreeBSD, NetBSD, etc).

The Bacula community project needs more volunteers.  if someone wants something
badly enough,
then they'll step up and do the work.  Otherwise, it won't get done.  That's
the nature of a volunteer project.

--
Dan Langille - http://langille.org