Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] windows enterprise is not working, x32/x64.

2013-01-14 16:09:11
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] windows enterprise is not working, x32/x64.
From: Adrian Reyer <bacula-lists AT lihas DOT de>
To: Bryan Harris <bryanlharris AT me DOT com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 21:41:10 +0100
On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 06:00:18PM -0500, Bryan Harris wrote:
> > Bacula community edition will continue, unix, linux, windows products?
> I think he means "Will Windows be supported?", or "Will Windows continue?",
> or something along those lines.  Here is my understanding, feel free to
> correct me if I'm wrong:

As I understand the mentioned page, there won't be precompiled Windows
Community Binaries anymore. However, windows as a client will still be
supported, but you have to compile it yourself.
As windows users/administrators are not as used to compiling things as
linux/unix users are, there is an offer of Bacula Systems on precompiled
Enterprise versions. Alternatively someone else could just step up and
offer the precompiled windows binaries.

If I misgot this and future windows fd-development ceased to exist, the
code about to be removed, I'd see it as a serious problem as it damages
the credibility of bacula as an available system. Bacula Systems is
not a solution to this as it is not free software and if tomorrow
Bacula Systems decides to only support e.g. Android as the single
plattform, there is no source to continue with. Don't misunderstand me
there, I really like Bacula Systems providing the Enterprise windows
binaries. I'd prefer them to provide the community binaries, though, and
while they are at it, perhaps 'certified' community binaries for the
major linux distributions.

Regards,
        Adrian
--
LiHAS - Adrian Reyer - Hessenwiesenstraße 10 - D-70565 Stuttgart
Fon: +49 (7 11) 78 28 50 90 - Fax:  +49 (7 11) 78 28 50 91