Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backup is way too slow

2012-10-27 19:20:06
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backup is way too slow
From: Tilman Schmidt <t.schmidt AT phoenixsoftware DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 01:17:32 +0200
Am 26.10.2012 20:00, schrieb noob1321:
> So after some work with Comcast and tinkering around we found that the
> problem is actually Bacula. By doing speed tests from the client machine we
> saw that before we started using bacula it was around 25down 6up but when
> using Bacula the speed changed DRASTICALLY to .1MB/s down and .8 MB/s up. We
> stooped Bacula, remotely reset the modem and speeds were back to normal.
> 10mins later I started up Bacula  and the speeds went right back down again.
> I again stopped Bacula, reset the modem(got speeds back up) and DIDN'T run
> Bacula and the speeds have been great for the past few hours.. So whenever
> Bacula is backing up this machine it takes it from 25Down/6Up all the way to
> .1Down/.8up

Wait a minute. You were actually doing the second speed test while
Bacula was backing up over that line? You ARE aware how speed tests
work, are you? It's absolutely normal that speed test results drop
if you put load on the line. The more efficiently the application
producing the load uses the bandwidth the more drastically the
speed test reading will drop. So your results actually show that
Bacula makes the best possible use of the line.

Also what do you mean by "25down 6up"? Does that mean the backup
data is going in upstream direction over an ADSL line? That would
be a serious bottleneck that neither Bacula nor any other
application can do anything about.

HTH

--
Tilman Schmidt