Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backup is way too slow

2012-10-26 04:13:48
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backup is way too slow
From: Carsten Jensen <tomse AT tomse DOT dk>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 10:11:46 +0200
On 10/26/2012 08:56 AM, Paul Van Wambeke wrote:

>       Hi
>
> I had very slow backup times with a Ubuntu server 10.04 running the
> Bacula director, 5.01 and handling a Windows 2008 R2 server with
> Bacula-fd 5.2. I discovered that the throughput of the ethernet adapter
> (broadcom) in the Windows Server was VERY low ..
>
> I solved the problem after some Googling and by changing the settings of
> the ethernet cards : LSO and Jumbo Frames were set to 'LSO Enabled,
> Jumbo off'. I changed the setting to  'Both disabled'. This increased by
> 10 the throughput of the card. And I run backups at 50Mbytes/sec today.
>
> No warranty however ! This solved my problem for my configuration.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Paul
>
> On 25/10/2012 17:48, noob1321 wrote:
>> Hey Guys,
>> I have my Director, DB, and Storage on a server running CentOS 6. I am
>> backing up a client over the network that is physically about 15 miles away
>> and is running a Windows 2008 R2 Small Business Server .
>> I'm backing up 170 gigabytes. Right now the job has been running for 37
>> minutes and has backed up 394,920,354 bytes or 0.367798 gigabytes.
>> It is processing at 181,739 bytes per second. Now that is only .17 MB/s at
>> this pace it is only backing up .6 Gigs per hour which means to back up
>> 170Gigs will require nearly  two weeks  to complete. I understand this is a
>> slow process but I mean there has to be something wrong if its at  .17
>> MB/s!!!
>>
>> I do not have spooling enabled. I am backing up to file(my server), I am not
>> using any compression in the FileSet Resource and I am using the MD5
>> signature.
>>
>> Please help me out here!!!
>>
>> Thanks,
>> noob
>>
>> +----------------------------------------------------------------------
>> |This was sent by robert97006 AT gmail DOT com via Backup Central.
>> |Forward SPAM to abuse AT backupcentral DOT com.

You didn't tell us how the line speed is, could that be an issue?
You could also look at if the files are small, small filesizes = bad
performance.

if your network connection is speedy and the files are small you could
compress chunks of the data before backing up.

how does the backup perform from the local network? is it slow there too ?

Backing up remote locations on a slow line could be improved using
spooling.

cheers