Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula Offsite Backups

2012-03-16 06:10:09
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula Offsite Backups
From: Uwe Schuerkamp <uwe.schuerkamp AT nionex DOT net>
To: "Holikar, Sachin (ext)" <sachin.holikar.ext AT siemens DOT com>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 11:07:57 +0100
On Fri, Mar 09, 2012 at 03:49:40PM +0100, Holikar, Sachin (ext) wrote:

> Thanks Uwe for the reply.
>
> I request some explanation here.
> You suggested :
>
> 1.    Create a separate offsite pool and then after use, remove them as
> necessary from the autochanger and set their volume status to "Archive" using
> the "update volume" bconsole command.
>
>       You meant that after making the volume status as Archive , we can
> remove the tapes from the library and keep offsite. Correct?
>       The documentation says "All the files contained on an Archived Volume
> are removed from the Catalog."  Is it true ?
>       Then how do we make sure that the data would be intact with all
> previous records when the actual offsite tapes are required to be
> inserted/restored back in the library ?
>
>       Please clarify.

So far I've only had one case where an archived volume was required
shortly after I had removed it from the changer. I simply re-inserted
the volume, set its status to "FULL" and modified the autochanger slot
and bacula went on and happily restored stuff off that volume without
a problem.

As pointed out in some other post, this may not be the "best practise"
way to archive volumes, but we're only just now starting to dig into
copy &  migrate jobs and some of the more fancy features bacula
provides, so take my advice with at least a grain of salt.

>       Why there is need to erase the tapes which are archived ?? Please
> explain.

This are generally older archive tapes that are meant to re-enter the
backup cycle, so I delete the volume from the catalog and then provide
them with a new label. Of course you could also just re-enter the
older archived tapes and then set them to "full" and assign a slot as
outlined above.

Cheers, Uwe

--
NIONEX --- Ein Unternehmen der Bertelsmann AG