Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula Offsite Backups

2012-03-09 07:49:51
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula Offsite Backups
From: Uwe Schuerkamp <uwe.schuerkamp AT nionex DOT net>
To: "Holikar, Sachin (ext)" <sachin.holikar.ext AT siemens DOT com>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 13:47:47 +0100
On Fri, Mar 09, 2012 at 08:48:40AM +0100, Holikar, Sachin (ext) wrote:
> Hello Admis,
>
> We have a working Bacula ( Release 2.2.7) setup.
> So far all the backup tapes are retained inside the tape library. But now we
> have decided to keep 1 set offsite.
> We have created a separate pool of tapes ( say 10 tapes) and taken few
> important backups last week. Now couple of tapes are used for this backup job.
> Now the questions are :
>
> 1.  Can we just take out the filled/half-filled tapes out of the tape library
> just like that to be kept at offsite?  Or some necessary procedure is
> required for this?
> 2.  Once we take out few tapes from the offsite pool , can we start taking
> new backup onto remaining tapes in this pool?
> 3.  Or simply point me to correct links where we can read the fundamentals of
> offsite backups.
>

> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
> - Sachin

Hello Sachin,

for most small bacula sites I keep all tapes in one pool, then remove
them as necessary from the autochanger (say all that have been written
during a week) and set their volume status to "Archive" using the
"update volume" bconsole command. Following that I erase the tapes I
put into the library in exchange for the archived ones and (re-)label
them with bconsole as necessary.

You should also take a look at your volume retention time, it should
be long enough so that bacula won't "forget" the archived tapes at
some point.

HTH Uwe