Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Large backup to tape?

2012-03-01 13:20:50
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Large backup to tape?
From: mark.bergman AT uphs.upenn DOT edu
To: Erich Weiler <weiler AT soe.ucsc DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 13:18:27 -0500
In the message dated: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 20:23:14 PST,
The pithy ruminations from Erich Weiler on
<[Bacula-users] Large backup to tape?> were:
=> Hey Y'all,
=>
=> So I have a Dell ML6010 tape library that holds 41 LTO-5 tapes, all

I've got a Dell ML6010, so I can offer some specific suggestions.

        [SNIP!]

=>
=> The fileset I'm backing up is about 200TB large total (each file is
=> about 300GB big).  So, not only will it use every tape in the tape
=> library (41 tapes), but we'll have to refill the tape library about 6
=> times to get the whole thing backed up.  After that I want to just do

I agree with the other suggestions to break up the dataset into smaller
chunks.

        [SNIP!]

=>
=> So, I guess a have a couple basic questions.  When it uses all the tapes
=> in the library in a single job (200TB! 41 tapes only hold 60TB), will it

It'll depend a lot on the compressibility of your data.

=> simply pause, send me an email saying it's waiting for new media, then I
=> load 41 new tapes?  Then tell it to resume, and it uses the next 41, ad
=> nauseum?

Yes, sort of.

You'll get lots of mail from bacula about needing to change tapes.

In my experience, changing tapes in the library while a backup is running must
be done very carefully. I suggest that you not use the native ML6010 tools
(touch pad on the library or web interface) to move tapes to-and-from the
mailbox slots. Our procedure is:

        use mtx to transfer full tapes from library slots to the mailbox slots

        remove the full tapes from the mailbox slots

        add new tapes to the mailbox slots

        allow the library to scan the new tapes, the choose to add them
        to "partition 1" (or whatever you have named your non-system partition
        within the library)

        use mtx to transfer the new tapes from the mailbox slots to available
        slots in the library

        when complete, run "update slots" from within the Bacula 'bconsole'

        if the tapes have never been used within Bacula before, run "label
        barcodes" from within 'bconsole'

=>
=> And, if I want to make 2 copies of the tapes, can I simply configure 2
=> differently named jobs that each backup the same fileset?
=>
=> Also, do I need to manually "label" the tapes (electronically) as I load
=> them, or will the fact that the autoloader automatically reads the new
=> barcodes be enough?

You will need to logically label the tapes (writing a Bacula header to each
tape). This can be done automatically with "label barcodes".
=>
=> Thanks for any hints.  And, if you know any "gotchas" I should watch for
=> during this process, please let me know!  I don't want bacula expiring
=> the tapes ever, or re-using them, as the data will never change and we
=> need to keep it forever.

Set the file/volume/job retention times to something really long. For us, "10
years" =~ "infinite", under the theory that after 10 years we'll have moved to
different tape hardware and the old data will need to be transferred to the
new media somehow.

Make a backup of the Bacula database as soon as the backup is complete. Save
that to both a backup tape and to some other media (external hard drive?
multiple Blueray discs? punch cards?) so that you can recover data if there's
ever a problem with the database--you do NOT want to be in a position of
needing to "bscan" ~100x LTO5 tapes in order to rebuild the database.

Mark

=>
=> Many thanks,
=> erich