Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Large backup to tape?

2012-03-01 06:47:56
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Large backup to tape?
From: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
To: Erich Weiler <weiler AT soe.ucsc DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 11:45:35 +0000
On 01/03/12 04:23, Erich Weiler wrote:

> The fileset I'm backing up is about 200TB large total (each file is
> about 300GB big).  So, not only will it use every tape in the tape
> library (41 tapes), but we'll have to refill the tape library about 6
> times to get the whole thing backed up.

And if _anything_ goes wrong you'll have to start over - for a run time
of around 21 days assuming best speed.

Break the job up into smaller sets. We try to use maximum units of 1Tb.

> After that I want to just do
> incrementals against the initial Full Backup; the files will never
> change, they will just be added to as time moves on.

You will still want periodic fulls or synthetic fulls.

Only having 1 backup is asking for trouble, especially if there are
hundreds of subsequent incrementals to spool through too.

That's why GFS (grandfather-father-son) backup strategies were developed
- there are always at least 2 full backups available in case one set
goes bad.

> So, I guess a have a couple basic questions.  When it uses all the tapes
> in the library in a single job (200TB! 41 tapes only hold 60TB), will it
> simply pause, send me an email saying it's waiting for new media, then I
> load 41 new tapes?  Then tell it to resume, and it uses the next 41, ad
> nauseum?

Yes

> And, if I want to make 2 copies of the tapes, can I simply configure 2
> differently named jobs that each backup the same fileset?

Yes. If you have multiple tape drives you can also copy between tapes.

> Also, do I need to manually "label" the tapes (electronically) as I load
> them, or will the fact that the autoloader automatically reads the new
> barcodes be enough?

look up the "label barcodes" directive.