Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Large backup to tape?

2012-03-08 16:44:34
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Large backup to tape?
From: Adrian Reyer <bacula-lists AT lihas DOT de>
To: Erich Weiler <weiler AT soe.ucsc DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 22:42:37 +0100
On Thu, Mar 08, 2012 at 09:38:33AM -0800, Erich Weiler wrote:
> We have our 200TB in one directory.  From there we have about 10,000
> subdirectories that each have two files in it, ranging in size between
> 50GB and 300GB (an estimate).  All of those 10,000 directories adds to
> up about 200TB.  It will grow to 3 or so petabytes in size over the next
> few years.

As it has already been said, on most filesystems it is not a good idea
to have 10k items and up in a single directory. You might want to hash
it on e.g. directory names
ABC789 -> A/B/C/7/8/9
Depending on your directory stucture this might already be a good
preselection for filesets.

The reason for my mail is another point, though:
Depending on your data you might want to make sure it all has the same
timestamp. You could do this by using LVM and snapshots. By mounting and
backing up the snapshots, you make sure no files are modified while
backing up.

Regards,
        Adrian
--
LiHAS - Adrian Reyer - Hessenwiesenstraße 10 - D-70565 Stuttgart
Fon: +49 (7 11) 78 28 50 90 - Fax:  +49 (7 11) 78 28 50 91