Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Have we reached bacula's limits?

2012-01-24 12:45:26
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Have we reached bacula's limits?
From: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
To: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 17:44:22 +0000
On 24/01/12 17:08, John Drescher wrote:

> I believe it meant that with bacula prior to 5.2.X you had to compile
> in your db choice (sqlite, postgresql,mysql) and could not change that
> choice at runtime. Now with 5.2 You can mix and match and have more
> than 1 catalog.

1: You can only define one database server in bacula-dir

2: You can have as many catalogs on that server as you want.

3: No matter which database engine you choose, as the table sizes
increase it will perform badly unless tuned properly.

Different engines suit different loads but until the size and load
factor of bacula's requirements gets _large_ the differences are largely
academic, so people should go with what they're comfortable with.

4: Changing between mysql/postgres is irritating but as long as dumps
are done in proper compatibility mode, relatively painless

(I have around 350 million files in my databases. Tuned Postgres vs
tuned Mysql has measurable performance/memory differences. With only 20
million files onboard the differences are negligable)

There are advantages and disadvantages to a monolithic catalog. This is
a matter of personal taste.

5: Splitting up a monolithic catalog set takes a fair amount of patience.

FWIW I have multiple catalog sets:

a: Servers and support gear (daily machine backups)
b: Fileserver cluster1 backups (100Tb or so)
c: Fileserver 2 backups (~200Tb)
d: Desktop hardware

This is mainly done for political and dump/restore size reasons. There's
very little performance/memory difference between running them all
monolithically or separate.)

6: Poolsets are per-catalog. 1 pool cannot service multiple catalogs.
(the data about what's on which tape is per-catalog)

7: Bacula scales to limits which would blow most people's minds - well
beyond most COTS (commercial off the shelf) software and past every
other OSS package I'm aware of.