Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Have we reached bacula's limits?

2012-01-24 06:23:20
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Have we reached bacula's limits?
From: Xabier Elkano <xelkano AT hostinet DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 12:21:25 +0100
El 24/01/12 11:47, Marcello Romani escribió:
> Il 24/01/2012 11:18, Xabier Elkano ha scritto:

>>> You mean 31 catalogs ?!
>>>
>> Yes, now, I am only testing with two catalogs and it's working Ok, what
>> are the downsides using this config?
>> According to the documentation bacula supports it:
>>
>> " The Catalog Resource defines what catalog to use for the current job.
>> Currently, Bacula can only handle a single database server (SQLite,
>> MySQL, PostgreSQL) that is defined when configuring*Bacula*. However,
>> there may be as many Catalogs (databases) defined as you wish. For
>> example, you may want each Client to have its own Catalog database, or
>> you may want backup jobs to use one database and verify or restore jobs
>> to use another database."

> I'm just thinking out loud, but I don't see how having a catalog for
> each client can help you scale, since you can't put them on different db
> servers. You'd probably have a higher ROI by upgrading the DBMS hardware
> and/or migrating to postgres and/or throwing some (consultancy) money at
> tuning.
>
> Just my 2 cents.
Why not? If I want I can put each catalog on different db servers, each
catalog has its own db config. But this is not the idea, I want to put
all catalogs on the same db server but trying to keep tables as small as
possible to reduce IOs on db server, because is the server bottleneck
now. I can upgrade my server hardware, putting more memory or cpu, but
my problem is on disks handling these table sizes.