Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Will Bacula be faster with Two Tape Devices?

2012-01-23 16:58:10
Subject: [Bacula-users] Will Bacula be faster with Two Tape Devices?
From: "Bryan K. Walton" <bryan AT vidadiagnostics DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 15:33:10 -0600
Hi everybody,

We have been using Bacula 5.0.3 for a while with a setup that includes
one tape library with one LTO3 device.

We have upgraded to a new autochanger with two LTO4 devices.  I'm hoping
to make maximum use of the second drive.  But I have a question
regarding speed.

Here is our backup schedule:

---snip---

# When to do the backups, full backup on first sunday of the month,
#  differential (i.e. incremental since full) every other sunday,
#  and incremental backups other days
Schedule {
  Name = "MonthlyCycle"
  Run = Full 1st sun at 23:05
  Run = Differential 2nd-5th sun at 23:05
  Run = Incremental mon-sat at 23:05
}

--end snip--

I currently have Bacula correctly working with both devices.  I have set
"Prefer Mounted Volumes = no" and Bacula is now maximizing the use of
the two devices when possible.

But will this speed up my backups?  Generally speaking, should Bacula be
able to write two the two tapes devices more quickly than it can write
to one?  The unit in question is a Tandberg Data StorageLibrary T24 LTO
with two serial attached scsi LTO4 tape devices, attached to a server
running Centos 6.2.

Is my arrangement the best way to maximize two tape drives?

Thanks for your input,
Bryan