Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Have we reached bacula's limits?

2012-01-24 05:49:58
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Have we reached bacula's limits?
From: Marcello Romani <mromani AT ottotecnica DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 11:47:51 +0100
Il 24/01/2012 11:18, Xabier Elkano ha scritto:
> El 24/01/12 10:49, Marcello Romani escribió:
>>> Hi Uwe,
>>>
>>> I am having the same problem, backups are fast, but restores takes too
>>> long creating directory tree with bat. I have a lot of files to backup
>>> per client. I am using mysql with innodb engine, my File table is about
>>> 17GB on disk.
>>>
>>> My numbers:
>>>
>>> BytesPerJobAvg: 6539156346
>>> ClientCount: 31
>>> FileCount: 113286836
>>> FileRetentionAvg:
>>> FilenameCount: 29713190
>>> FilesPerJobAvg: 184213
>>> JobRetentionAvg:
>>> PathCount: 6671143
>>> TotalBytes: 1588763249151
>>> TotalFiles: 44919364
>>>
>>> First, I considered to create more bacula servers to separate clients on
>>> diferent databases, but now I am testing a configuration with one
>>> catalog per client. With this config, each client goes in separate db,
>>> It's more difficult to administer and setup it but I guess is the best
>>> way to scale the platform. Has anyone tried this config?
>>>
>>> Sorry for my bad english.
>>>
>>> Xabier

>> You mean 31 catalogs ?!
>>

> Yes, now, I am only testing with two catalogs and it's working Ok, what
> are the downsides using this config?
> According to the documentation bacula supports it:
>
> " The Catalog Resource defines what catalog to use for the current job.
> Currently, Bacula can only handle a single database server (SQLite,
> MySQL, PostgreSQL) that is defined when configuring*Bacula*. However,
> there may be as many Catalogs (databases) defined as you wish. For
> example, you may want each Client to have its own Catalog database, or
> you may want backup jobs to use one database and verify or restore jobs
> to use another database."

I'm just thinking out loud, but I don't see how having a catalog for
each client can help you scale, since you can't put them on different db
servers. You'd probably have a higher ROI by upgrading the DBMS hardware
and/or migrating to postgres and/or throwing some (consultancy) money at
tuning.

Just my 2 cents.

--
Marcello Romani