Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Compatibility with QM-SL3-LTO5S/16 Tapeloader

2011-11-20 11:20:41
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Compatibility with QM-SL3-LTO5S/16 Tapeloader
From: Adrian Reyer <bacula-lists AT lihas DOT de>
To: Wankmüller David <David.Wankmueller AT isko-engineers DOT de> <David.Wankmueller AT isko-engineers DOT de>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 17:18:21 +0100
On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 06:05:18PM +0100,  Wankmüller David <David.Wankmueller
AT isko-engineers DOT de> wrote:
> our old tape loader has now definetly his last tape written and dont wanne do
> his work anymore so we are about to by a new one. As we playing around with
> bacula for a few months we want to migrate it as our primary backup solution.
> Today we received an offer on a &quot;QM-SL3-LTO5S/16 &quot; (also called
> quantum 16 slot SuperLoader) connected with SAS(SF-8088).
> Does anyone have some experience of using bacula with this tapeloader and
> could
> provide me some informations wether it works, device definition, mtx-script
> and
> so on?

I bought 3 of them for me and my customers as they are at a reasonable
prize and came with 3 years support contracts by default.
However, one of the trays fell down and broke. The superlodaer
firmware refuses to do anything without the trays plugged in. As this
has been a user error, service contract didn't kick in and it took
Quantum 1 month to deliver a new tray. 1 month without a backup,
just because they decided to refuse operations with only one tray
plugged in. Keep in mind, it has a mailslot, you would not need a
tray at all for some sort of emergency service.
No idea if others are better, but this is really a show stopper for me.
Apart from that: the changer is somewhat slow, but it works and loader
is recognized by mtx, mt and bacula without any special configuration.

Regards,
        Adrian
--
LiHAS - Adrian Reyer - Hessenwiesenstraße 10 - D-70565 Stuttgart
Fon: +49 (7 11) 78 28 50 90 - Fax:  +49 (7 11) 78 28 50 91