Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Purge Log table - was: Re: Restore performance

2011-09-21 16:26:04
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Purge Log table - was: Re: Restore performance
From: Chris Shelton <cshelton AT shelton-family DOT net>
To: Marcio Merlone <marcio.merlone AT a1.ind DOT br>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 15:25:37 -0400
2011/9/21 Marcio Merlone <marcio.merlone AT a1.ind DOT br>
Em 21-09-2011 14:45, Alexandre Chapellon escreveu:
Le 21/09/2011 18:56, Marcio Merlone a écrit :
Em 21-09-2011 13:33, Alexandre Chapellon escreveu:
As Gavin pointed out, a 150GB database is huuuuuuuuuuuge for only a dozen client.
Unless you have billions of files on each client there is no reason your catalog is that large.
Are you sure you correctly applied job and file retention on your catalog? Also are you sure you catalog is not full of orphaned records?

Before migrating to postgres (which is a good choice for big catalogs), I would look at the catalog to see if all retention period are correctly applied.

I am running dbcheck to see how many rabbits come out of the bushes. File table is only 6.6GB and Log is 105GB. What's that Log table for? It only have blobs...
It is supposed to contain bacula report... just like in the bacula log file.
I'm not sure having such a big amount of  data in another table hurts, may be it does if you use innodb.
If you use MyISAM... my guess is it should not hurts... but note I am not a DBA!
Me neither, and it is innodb, in my case.

However, I'd like to know if this table can be safely purged? As one day or another it will grow to an unacceptable size... (even more if I have the same info in logfile).
+1
Can it?

>>From this page:
http://www.bacula.org/5.0.x-manuals/en/main/main/Messages_Resource.html

you must have an entry in your Messages section of your director config file named catalog.  The description of that entry is:
catalog
Send the message to the Catalog database. The message will be written to the table named Log and a timestamp field will also be added. This permits Job Reports and other messages to be recorded in the Catalog so that they can be accessed by reporting software. Bacula will prune the Log records associated with a Job when the Job records are pruned. Otherwise, Bacula never uses these records internally, so this destination is only used for special purpose programs (e.g. bweb).
If you are not using bweb or any other special front ends for bacula beyond bconsole, you can very likely empty the Log table.

On my bacula installation, I just send messages to mail commands and to the append entry to also save to a filesystem log file.   My Log table exists, but has no records at all.

chris