Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] retentions

2011-08-31 14:03:12
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] retentions
From: hymie! <hymie AT lactose.homelinux DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 14:00:42 -0400
Konstantin Khomoutov writes:
>hymie! <hymie AT lactose.homelinux DOT net> wrote:
>
>> A volume will not be recycled until the Volume Retention has expired,
>> even if all of the backups stored in that volume have expired.  If my
>> Job Retention is 1 month, and my Volume Retention is 3 months, then my
>> volumes are not available after 1 month even though the jobs in those
>> volumes are expired.
>Possibly there's an error in the last sentence.

Yes, I screwed up the last sentence.  Let me try again please.

If my Job Retention is 1 month, and my Volume Retention is 3 months,
then at the end of 1 month, my volumes are still marked as "Full", and
will not be pruned, recycled or written to, even though the jobs in
those volumes are expired.

>Volumes will continue to live on, just you won't be able to
>*directly* restore anything from then (that is, simply using bconsole
>commands) because no catalog entries would exist describing jobs.
>But that does not prevent you from doing emergency recovery using those
>volumes

Gotcha.

Actually, what I'm looking for is the opposite.  I'd like Bacula to
recognize that the jobs on the volume have expired, and the volumes
can be pruned and recycled.  But it appears that it does not matter when
the Job Retention is, only the Volume Retention decides when my volumes
are pruned.

...or maybe it's "Whichever one is longer" ?

Maybe I need to set up separate pools, based on retention, so that jobs
with a 1 month retention are stored on volumes with 1 month retention,
and jobs with a 3 month retention are stored on volumes with 3 month
retention?

--hymie!    http://lactose.homelinux.net/~hymie    hymie AT lactose.homelinux
DOT net