Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] SPEED!

2011-07-07 00:46:10
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] SPEED!
From: Mike Ruskai <thannyd AT earthlink DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2011 00:11:25 -0400
On 7/6/2011 12:31 PM, Jake Debord wrote:
I have a machine I back up that when done averages:
Elapsed time:           41 mins 47 secs
  FD Files Written:       6,948
  SD Files Written:       6,948
  FD Bytes Written:       14,587,852,350 (14.58 GB)
  SD Bytes Written:       14,589,273,339 (14.58 GB)
  Rate:                   5818.8 KB/s
  Software Compression:   11.7 %

Is this acceptable??? 6Mbps seems slow. I backup my machine and achieve a little better results
Elapsed time:           3 mins 51 secs
  FD Files Written:       665
  SD Files Written:       665
  FD Bytes Written:       2,192,593,865 (2.192 GB)
  SD Bytes Written:       2,192,728,783 (2.192 GB)
  Rate:                   9491.7 KB/s
  Software Compression:   9.8 %

Both of our Machines are almost identical in specs. I'm just wondering if this is typical or if there are tweeks to speeding things up. My setup is basically out of the box so not much extra done to it.

I also use mysql for the database.

As others have suggested, this is entirely about client-side compression speed.  If those compression levels are typical, I'd recommend just turning it off.  Then you'll be limited by the lesser of disc and network speed.  Another possibility is to selectively disable compression for certain file extension that are known to be already highly compressed, such as JPG, ZIP, BZ2, etc.  I get about 98MB/sec throughput on a completely uncompressed backup of 80GB, and about 44MB/sec on a selectively compressed backup of around 1.2TB of data, with a 3.85GHz i7 processor (net compression is about 21%, so 1TB is stored).