Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] SPEED!

2011-07-06 12:47:26
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] SPEED!
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Jake Debord <jake.debord AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2011 12:43:26 -0400
2011/7/6 Jake Debord <jake.debord AT gmail DOT com>:
> I have a machine I back up that when done averages:
> Elapsed time:           41 mins 47 secs
>   FD Files Written:       6,948
>   SD Files Written:       6,948
>   FD Bytes Written:       14,587,852,350 (14.58 GB)
>   SD Bytes Written:       14,589,273,339 (14.58 GB)
>   Rate:                   5818.8 KB/s
>   Software Compression:   11.7 %
>
> Is this acceptable??? 6Mbps seems slow. I backup my machine and achieve a
> little better results
>
> Elapsed time:           3 mins 51 secs
>   FD Files Written:       665
>   SD Files Written:       665
>   FD Bytes Written:       2,192,593,865 (2.192 GB)
>   SD Bytes Written:       2,192,728,783 (2.192 GB)
>   Rate:                   9491.7 KB/s
>   Software Compression:   9.8 %
>
> Both of our Machines are almost identical in specs. I'm just wondering if
> this is typical or if there are tweeks to speeding things up. My setup is
> basically out of the box so not much extra done to it.
>
> I also use mysql for the database.

Are you using disk based volumes? If so try this with compression
turned off. Also A Full backup will have a much higher rate than an
Incremental or Differential because more of the time will be spent
looking for the files to backup instead of backing up every file.
Fragmentation of the client disk also plays a large part in backup
rates.

John