Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Performance with many files

2011-07-06 08:25:49
Subject: [Bacula-users] Performance with many files
From: Adrian Reyer <bacula-lists AT lihas DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2011 14:04:08 +0200
Hi,

I am using bacula for a bit more than a month now and the database gets
slower and slower both for selecting stuff and for running backups as
such.
I am using a MySQL database, still myisam tables and I am considering
switching to InnoDB tables or postgresql.
Amongst normal fileserver data there is 450GB IMAP-Serverdata, single
small files to be backed up and after 1 month (2 full backups, weekly
differential and daily incremental) the tables look like this:
select count(*) FROM Filename;
3928838
select count(*) FROM File;
54211255
select count(*) FROM Path;
1016689
Diskspace:
# du -sk /var/lib/mysql/
8741404 /var/lib/mysql/

The backup is mostly to disk and currently uses 11TB of space, the
disk-volumes are valid vor 35 days and are copied to tape somewhere in
that period to remain available for 13 months.

The database server has 16GB of RAM and MySQL is configured to use ~8GB
of RAM. MySQL parameters:
key_buffer              = 8192M
max_allowed_packet      = 40M
join_buffer_size        = 4M
thread_stack            = 192K
thread_cache_size       = 8
max_connections         = 200
table_cache             = 1024
thread_concurrency      = 10
query_cache_limit       = 127M
query_cache_size        = 127M
max_heap_table_size = 512M
tmp_table_size = 512M

The backups run with SpoolData=yes and SpoolAttribute=yes, the latter
specifically set for the backupserver itself as it serves as
rsync-target as well and has SpoolData=no.
bacula-director and -sd reside on a small server with 4GB RAM, the
database itself is on a seperate server.

I seems like performance will get worse and worse over time and it is
only the 1st month of the 13 I'd like to keep. The problem seems not to
be disk io but MySQL running at 99% CPU for extended times probably
while despooling attribute data.

What can I do to improove the performance?

Regards,
        Adrian
--
LiHAS - Adrian Reyer - Hessenwiesenstraße 10 - D-70565 Stuttgart
Fon: +49 (7 11) 78 28 50 90 - Fax:  +49 (7 11) 78 28 50 91